[Cryptography] Kindle as crypto hardware

Suryanathan P suryanathan.padmanabhan at certesnetworks.com
Wed Dec 4 13:05:25 EST 2013

> What I really want from a crypto key management device is that it be
>
> * Small and light
> * Have processor and display capabilities
Is this to be used as a personal key manager?
I believe the important attributes of a key manager is
uses a good PRNG, runs in a hardened environment, etc.
Portability was never considered as a characteristic of a
key manager.
> * Be possible to control the operating system build completely
> * Be cheap enough to be a burner machine
>
> Which is how I started thinking about the Kindle. It is pretty much
> ideal in every respect, at least after it is jailbroken.

I would never trust a proprietary device and assume they are
safe and not tampered with in any form. If it is for personal use, one
should try an open source hardware board(like beagle) and run a
customized(hardened) *nix on it. Eventually finding  an open source
HSM would also be a good idea.

> And very unlikely that anyone has backdoored the existing stocks.

--Regards,
Suryanathan P

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting all copies. Thank you.