[Cryptography] Keeping backups (was Re: Separating concerns

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Aug 31 17:53:45 EDT 2013

On 8/29/13 11:30 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:04:34 +0200 Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One thing that irks me, though, is the problem of the robust, secure
>> terminal: if everything is encrypted, how does one survive the
>> loss/theft/destruction of a computer or harddrive?
>
> So, as has been discussed, I envision people having small cheap
> machines at home that act as their "cloud", and the system prompting
> them to pick a friend to share encrypted backups with.

Why not share some parts with some friends and some with others? This is
related to the recently-discussed idea of a network of friends (maybe
it's because I've worked on Jabber for so long, but I like the idea of
leveraging your buddy list for many interesting features, including data
backup and mix networking).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre