[Cryptography] IPv6 and IPSEC

Phill hallam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 13:47:01 EDT 2013

(This is the last week before school goes back which is stopping me getting to the big iron and my coding platform if folk are wondering where the code is).

I had a discussion with some IETF types. Should I suggest a BOF in Vancouver? Maybe this is an IRTF effort rather than IETF. One thing that we maybe should face is IPR considerations and move what is becoming a design discussion to a list with an established IPR rubric like Note Well. In the past I have had whole standards efforts collapse because Microsoft or whoever objected to the IPR being possibly contaminated by being discussed in a forum without an IPR regime (though I suspect that was a pretext rather than a reason).

One question is whether we could make use of IPSEC and/or IPv6. Now I do not for an instant accept that we should make any proposal dependent on deployment of either. However IPv6 does have some very convenient characteristics for traffic analysis hardening.

My view has always been that the proper approach to security is to have multiple layers so I would see IPSEC as being an addition to TLS and message layer security.