[Cryptography] Why human-readable IDs (was Re: Email and IM are ideal candidates for mix networks)

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Wed Aug 28 10:36:37 EDT 2013

This is exactly the problem that Kim Cameron and I tried to solve by developing what we called "call signs." The idea is to compress the hash of the public by solving a puzzle: find the arbitrary "salt" so that the hash of the salt and the public key ends with a large enough number of zeroes. (Or 1, or any arbitrary patterns.) Publish then the "call sign" as a  fraction of the hash, say the leading bits, that is short enough to be memorized, or at least written on a napkin. Of course, you have to verify that N bits of call signs + M zeroes is long enough to provide a strong hash.

The birthday paradox tells us that collisions will happen after 2^(N/2) users in the same space. We assumed that the practical length was at most 10 characters, 50 bits, which means collisions would happen after a few million users. We mitigated that by adding a human identifier in the mix, making the call sign something like "Perry.A32-H45Z-ZE0." Now the collisions only happen in the space of "all people named Perry", which is much smaller than "everybody."

Of course, this was a Microsoft project, which Microsoft did not choose to develop. And it was patented...