[Cryptography] Implementations, attacks on DHTs, Mix Nets?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Aug 27 22:18:18 EDT 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:57:30 -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 8/27/13 7:47 PM, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >> Say that you want to distribute a database table consisting of
> >> human readable IDs, cryptographic keys and network endpoints for
> >> some reason. Say you want it to scale to hundreds of millions of
> >> users.
> >
> > This sounds remarkably like a description of DNSSEC.
> >
> > Assuming it were widely deployed, would
> > DNSSEC-for-key-distribution be a reasonable way to store
> >   email_address --> public_key
> > mappings?
>
> You mean something like this (email address --> OTR key)?
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wouters-dane-otrfp/

My problem with the use of DNSSEC for such things is the barrier to
entry. It requires that a systems administrator for the domain your
email address is in cooperate with you. This has even slowed DNSSEC
deployment itself.

It is, of course, clearly the "correct" way to do such things, but
trying to do things architecturally correctly sometimes results in
solutions that don't deploy.

I prefer solutions that require little or no buy in from anyone other
than yourself. One reason SSH deployed so quickly was it needed no
infrastructure -- if you controlled a single server, you could log in
to it with SSH and no one needed to give you permission.

This is a guiding principle in the architectures I'm now considering.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com