[Cryptography] Implementations, attacks on DHTs, Mix Nets?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 26 20:28:54 EDT 2013

Ralph Holz <ralph-cryptometzger at ralphholz.de> writes:

>There is a host of older literature, too - P2P research, however, has become
>a cold topic. Although I expect that it will see a revival in the face of
>surveillance.

For people who are interested, the list I have (for a year or two back) is:

"Security Considerations for Peer-to-Peer Distributed Hash Tables", Emil Sit
and Robert Morris, Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Peer-to-
Peer Systems (IPTPS'01), Springer-Verlag LNCS No.2429, March 2002, p.261.

"A Survey of Peer-to-Peer Security Issues", Dan Wallach, Proceedings of the
2002 International Symposium on Software Security (ISSS'02), Springer-Verlag
LNCS No.2609, November 2002, p.42.

"Eclipse Attacks on Overlay Networks: Threats and Defenses", Atul Singh,
Tsuen-Wan Ngan, Peter Druschel and Dan Wallach, Proceedings of the 25th
International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM'06), April 2006,

"The Index Poisoning Attack in P2P File Sharing Systems", Jian Liang, Naoum
Naoumov and Keith Ross, Proceedings of the 25th Conference on Computer
Communications (INFOCOM'06), April 2006,

"Conducting and Optimizing Eclipse Attacks in the Kad Peer-to-Peer Network",
Michael Kohnen, Mike Leske and Erwin Rathgeb, Proceedings of the 8th IFIP-TC 6
Networking Conference (Networking'09), Springer-Verlag LNCS No.5550, May 2009,
p.104.

"Combating Index Poisoning in P2P File Sharing", Lingli Deng, Yeping He and
Ziyao Xu, Proceedings of the 3rd Conference and Workshops on Advances in
Information Security and Assurance (ISA'09), Springer-Verlag LNCS No.5576,
June 2009, p.358.

"Hashing it out in public: Common failure modes of DHT-based anonymity
schemes", Andrew Tran, Nicholas Hopper and Yongdae Kim, Proceedings of the 8th
Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES'09), November 2009, p.71.

"Poisoning the Kad Network", Thomas Locher, David Mysicka, Stefan Schmid and
Roger Wattenhofer, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on
Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN'10), Springer-Verlag LNCS No.5935,
January 2010, p.195.

If there's anything significant I've missed, feel free to fill in the gaps.

Peter.