[Cryptography] Using Raspberry Pis

Mark Smith mark at halibut.com
Mon Aug 26 18:04:44 EDT 2013

I was pointed to this list by a friend of mine who thought I'd be
interested in this discussion, and indeed I am.  I intended to lurk for
a while before posting, but this discussion so perfectly fits with a
SkyTalk I gave at DefCon last year (DC20, not just a few weeks ago)
where I proposed this very thing:  A small home-router type device that
contains everything that I do on-line, such as Email, IM, DNS, my node
in that mythical federated social network that doesn't really exist,
etc.  (I'm kind of embarrassed now that I was promoting Diaspora at the
time. *sigh*)

Unfortunately, the realities of my life are that I haven't done anything
about this, but I did get a few emails after my talk from people saying
they were.  'course, I haven't heard anything SINCE then so who knows.

Anyway.  In case any of you are interested, my talk is available here:

https://archive.org/details/skytalks_defcon_20_taking_back_our_data_smitty_2012_07_27

I'd be interested in hearing your comments or thoughts.  If anything
strikes you as a good idea, by all means use it.  While I'm interested
in seeing this happen, the realities of my life are that I'm unlikely to
be the one to do it.

Specifically, I'd love to be told why something like NameCoin
distributing both DNS server and domain-limited CA certs would NOT
work.  There is the issue of scale with block-chain technologies like
that, but is that the ONLY thing?  Or is there a fundamental problem
with the technology?

-Mark