[Cryptography] Implementations, attacks on DHTs, Mix Nets?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Aug 25 19:52:04 EDT 2013

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 16:42:57 -0700 "Christian Huitema"
<huitema at huitema.net> wrote:
> I studied such systems intensely, and designed some
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_Name_Resolution_Protocol). Using
> a distributed hash table securely is really hard. The basic idea of
> DHT is that information is spread on the network based on matches
> between the hash of a resource identifier and the hash of a node
> identifier. All nodes are effectively relying on every other node.
> In an open network, that is pretty much equivalent to "relying on
> the goodness of strangers." You can be sure that if our buddies at
> the NSA set up to watch the content of a DHT, they will succeed.

That is not my worry. Signing the data posted to the DHT can prevent
spoofing, querying it over a mix network or using a PIR protocol can
prevent eavesdropping. I'm more worried about various sorts of denial
of service attacks, or service being shut down by inadvertent
behavior.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com