[Cryptography] Traffic Analysis (was Re: PRISM PROOF Email)

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Aug 25 15:34:46 EDT 2013

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:38:21 -0700 Carl Ellison <cme at acm.org> wrote:
> Meanwhile PRISM was more about metadata than content, right? How
> are we going to prevent traffic analysis worldwide?

The best technology for that is mix networks.

At one point, early in the cypherpunks era, mix networks were
something of an expensive idea. Now, however, everyone in sight is
connected 24x7 to the internet. Similarly, at one point, bandwidthwas
scarce, but now, most traffic is video, and even if instant messages
and email equivalents took many hops through the network, the
bandwidth used (except for mobiles, which need not be interior mix
nodes per se) is negligible.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com