Photos of an FBI tracking device found by a suspect

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Fri Oct 8 17:47:49 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 05:45:16PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:13:13 -0500 Nicolas Williams
> <Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 11:21:16AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > > My question: if someone plants something in your car, isn't it
> > > your property afterwards?
> >
> > If you left a wallet in someone's car, isn't it still yours?
>
> Yes. However, that's an accident. If you deliberately leave a package
> on someone's doorstep, they then own the contents. (In fact, if
> someone mails you something, US law is very clear that it is yours.)

I covered that, didn't I?

> I'd be interested in hearing what a lawyer thinks.

Indeed, but I'm pretty sure the FBI wouldn't lose that question.  If the
surveillance subject said "it's mine now" they could probably arrest
him, and the legal question can get settled later, possibly in a
protracted appeals battle that would likely ultimately favor the FBI
anyways.

Nico