Photos of an FBI tracking device found by a suspect

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Oct 8 17:45:16 EDT 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:13:13 -0500 Nicolas Williams
<Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 11:21:16AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > My question: if someone plants something in your car, isn't it
> > your property afterwards?
>
> If you left a wallet in someone's car, isn't it still yours?

Yes. However, that's an accident. If you deliberately leave a package
on someone's doorstep, they then own the contents. (In fact, if
someone mails you something, US law is very clear that it is yours.)

I'd be interested in hearing what a lawyer thinks.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com