Five Theses on Security Protocols

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Sat Jul 31 13:01:26 EDT 2010

corollary to "security proportional to risk" is "parameterized risk management" ... where variety of technologies with varying integrity levels can co-exist within the same infrastructure/framework. transactions exceeding particularly technology risk/integrity threshold may still be approved given various compensating processes are invoked (allows for multi-decade infrastructure operation w/o traumatic dislocation moving from technology to technology as well as multi-technology co-existence).

in the past I had brought this up to the people defining V3 extensions ... early in their process ... and they offered to let me do the work defining a V3 integrity level field. My response was why bother with stale, static information when real valued operations would use much more capable dynamic, realtime, online process.