A mighty fortress is our PKI

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Tue Jul 27 20:52:55 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 06:30:51PM -0600, Paul Tiemann wrote:
> >> **  But talking about TLS/SNI to SSL suppliers is like talking about the
> >> lifeboats on the Titanic ... we don't need it because SSL is unsinkable.
>
> Apache support for this came out 12 months ago.  Does any one know of
> statistics that show what percentage of installed Apache servers out
> there are running 2.2.12 or greater?  How many of the top 10 Linux
> distributions are past 2.2.12?

Yet browser SNI support is what matters regarding adoption.  No hosting
service will provision services such that SNI is required if too much of
the browser installed base does not support it.

Of course server support is a requirement in order to get SNI deployed,
but that's much less of an issue than client support.

Thanks for pointing out IE6 though.

Nico