A mighty fortress is our PKI

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Tue Jul 27 18:01:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 09:54:51PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> On 27/07/2010 15:11, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> > The intent with posting it to the list was to get input from a collection of
> > crypto-savvy people on what could be done.  The issue had previously been
> > discussed on a (very small) private list, and one of the members suggested I
> > post it to the cryptography list to get more input from people.  The follow-up
> > message (the "Part II" one) is in a similar vein, a summary of a problem and
> > then some starters for a discussion on what the issues might be.
>
> Haven't we already decided what to do: SNI?

But isn't that the problem, that "SNI had to be added therefore it isn't
everywhere therefore site operators don't trust its presence therefore
SNI is irrelevant"?

Do we have any information as to which browsers in significant current
use don't support SNI?  Hopefully at some point site operators could
declare that browsers that don't support SNI will not be supported.

Nico