A mighty fortress is our PKI

Pat Farrell pfarrell at pfarrell.com
Tue Jul 27 12:09:07 EDT 2010

>  On 07/27/2010 11:04 AM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

>  > long ago and far away..... they had also invented this technology
>  > called SSL that they wanted to use. As part of applying the
>  > technology to the business payment process ... we also had to go
>  > around and investigate how some of these new businesses, calling
>  > themselves "Certification Authorities", operated.

In that same time, I was at CyberCash, we invented what "is now
sometimes called "electronic commerce". " and that and $5 will get
you a cup of coffee. We predated SSL by a few years. Used RSA768 to
protect DES sessions, etc. Usual stuff.

One complaint that we got a lot was that we did not use certs or
CAs. CyberCash was the only trusted source.

>  > There were lots of issues with deficiencies and vulnerabilities

Most of which we avoided by skipping the cert concept. Still, better
technology has nothing to do with business success.

Public Key Crypto with out all the cruft of PKI. Its still a good
idea.

Pat

--
Pat Farrell