Spy/Counterspy

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sat Jul 10 06:57:14 EDT 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Pawel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Apr 27, 2010, at 5:38 AM, "Peter Gutmann (alt)" <pgut001.reflector at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> GPS tracking units that you can fit to your car to track where your
>> kids are taking it.... [T]he sorts of places that'll sell you card
>> skimmers and RFID cloners have started selling miniature GPS
>> jammers that plug
>> into cigarette-lighter sockets on cars....  In other words these
>> are specifically designed to stop cars from being tracked.
>>
>> (Some of the more sophisticated trackers will fall back to 3G GSM-
>> based
>> tracking via UMTS modems if they lose the GPS signal, it'll be
>> interested to see how long it takes before the jammers are updated
>> to deal with 3G signals as well, hopefully while leaving 2G intact
>> for phonecalls).
>
> Just wondering, why wouldn't GPS trackers use 2G to determine the
> location?
>
> And, also, does it even need a cell service subscription for
> location determination, or is it enough to query the cell towers
> (through some handshake protocols) to figure out the proximities and
> coordinates?
The 2G stuff wasn't designed to provide location information; that was
hacked in (by triangulating information received at multiple towers)
after the fact. I don't know that anyone has tried to do it from the
receiver side - it seems difficult, and would probably require
building specialized receiver modules (expensive).  3G provides
location information as a standard service, so it's cheap and easy.

The next attack, of course, is to use WiFi base station
triangulation.  That's widely and cheaply available already, and quite
accurate in many areas.  (It doesn't work out in the countryside if
you're far enough from buildings, but then you don't have to go more
than 60 miles or so from NYC to get to areas with no cell service,
either.)  The signals are much stronger, and you can get location data
with much less information, so jamming would be more of a challenge.
Still, I expect we'll see that in the spy vs. spy race.

I wrote message to Risks - that seems to never have appeared - citing
an article about GPS spoofing.  (I've included it below.)  In the spy
vs. spy game, of course, it's much more suspicious if the GPS suddenly
stops working than if it shows you've gone to the supermarket.  Of
course, WiFi (and presumably UMTS equipment, though that might be
harder) can also be spoofed.  I had an experience - described in
another RISKS article - in which WiFi-based location suddenly
teleported me from Manhattan to the Riviera - apparently because I was
driving past a cruise ship in dock and its on-board WiFi had been
sampled while it was in Europe.
                                                         -- Jerry

The BBC reports (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/
8533157.stm) on the growing threat of jamming to satellite navigation
systems.  The fundamental vulnerability of all the systems - GPS, the
Russian Glonass, and the European Galileo - is the very low power of
the transmissions.  (Nice analogy:  A satellite puts out less power
than a car headlight, illuminating more than a third of the Earth's
surface from 20,000 kilometers.)  Jammers - which simply overwhelm the
satellite signal - are increasingly available on-line.  According to
the article, low-powered hand-held versions cost less than £100, run
for hours on a battery, and can confuse receivers tens of kilometers
away.

The newer threat is from spoofers, which can project a false
location.  This still costs "thousands", but the price will inevitably
come down.

A test done in 2008 showed that it was easy to badly spoof ships off
the English coast, causing them to read locations anywhere from
Ireland to Scandinavia.

Beyond simple hacking - someone is quoted saying "You can consider GPS
a little like computers before the first virus - if I had stood here
before then and cried about the risks, you would've asked 'why would
anyone bother?'." - among the possible vulnerabilities are to high-
value cargo, armored cars, and rental cars tracked by GPS. As we build
more and more "location-aware" services, we are inherently building
more "false-location-vulnerable" services at the same time.