[TIME_WARP] 1280-Bit RSA

Brandon Enright bmenrigh at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 9 17:33:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 06:46:30 +0200
Dan Kaminsky <dan at doxpara.com> wrote:

> All,
>
>    I've got a "perfect vs. good" question.
>
>    NIST is pushing RSA-2048.  And I think we all agree that's
> probably a good thing.
>
>    However, performance on RSA-2048 is too low for a number of real
> world uses.
>
>    Assuming RSA-2048 is unavailable, is it worth taking the
> intermediate step of using RSA-1280?  Or should we stick to RSA-1024?
>
> --Dan

Dan,

I looked at the GNFS runtime and plugged a few numbers in.  It seems
RSA Security is using a more conservative constant of about 1.8 rather
than the suggested 1.92299...

See:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NumberFieldSieve.html

So using 1.8, a 1024 bit RSA key is roughly equivalent to a 81 bit
symmetric key.  Plugging in 1280 yields 89 bits.

I'm of the opinion that if you take action to improve security, you
should get more than 8 additional bits for your efforts.  For example,
1536 shouldn't be that much slower but gives 96 bits of security.

For posterity, here is a table using 1.8 for the GNFS constant:

RSA    Symmetric
----------------
256      43.7
512      59.8