Question w.r.t. AES-CBC IV

Jonathan Katz jkatz at cs.umd.edu
Fri Jul 9 13:55:12 EDT 2010

CTR mode seems a better choice here. Without getting too technical,
security of CTR mode holds as long as the IVs used are "fresh" whereas
security of CBC mode requires IVs to be random.

In either case, a problem with a short IV (no matter what you do) is the
possibility of IVs repeating. If you are picking 32-bit IVs at random, you
expect a repeat after only (roughly) 2^16 encryptions (which is not very
many).