towards https everywhere and strict transport security (was: Has there been a change in US banking regulations recently?)

Richard Salz rsalz at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 27 00:38:26 EDT 2010

(For what it's worth, I find your style of monocase and ellipses so
incredibly difficult to read that I usually delete your postings unread.)

> as previously mentioned, somewhere back behind everything else ... there
> is strong financial motivation in the sale of the SSL domain name
digital
> certificates.

I don't doubt that this was true when it was the secure sockets layer and
"e-commerce on the web" were just starting up.  But I don't think it's
accurate any longer. Or rather, who cares how VRSN wants to make money? :)
 Verisign owns a large portion of the CA market; their market-cap is
US$5B. Google's is US$143B, Apple's is US$220B and Microsoft's is US$206B.
I mention Google because they are very involved and influential in
Internet infrastructure, and Apple because many believe they will be
dominant content delivery system, and Microsoft because they were a
sponsor of the original SDSI research (
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rivest/sdsi10.html)

If someone has a better mousetrap, there's several places that can make it
happen and swallow 44% of the SSL market (
https://press.verisign.com/easyir/customrel.do?easyirid=AFC0FF0DB5C560D3&version=live&prid=631314&releasejsp=custom_97
) with nary a burp.

        /r$

--