towards https everywhere and strict transport security (was: Has there been a change in US banking regulations recently?)

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Wed Aug 25 16:47:12 EDT 2010

 > A really knowledgeable net-head told me the other day that the problem
 > with SSL/TLS is that it has too many round-trips.  In fact, the RTT costs
 > are now more prohibitive than the crypto costs.

Yes, although that's a different class of issue from the ones we're trying to
address in hasmat and keyassure.

these two drafts comprise the approach Adam Langley (of google) is presently
pursuing wrt both fast TLS startup (snapstart) and support for
NextProtocolNegotiation (during TLS handshake)..

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-agl-tls-nextprotoneg
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-agl-tls-snapstart

Note that the motivation for draft-agl-tls-nextprotoneg is so-called
websockets, which are being worked on in the IETF HYBI (hypertext
bidirectional) WG  http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/hybi/

=JeffH