Collage

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Wed Aug 18 08:21:40 EDT 2010

Yesterday I asked about Haystack, an anti-censorship system that
appears to exist mainly as newspaper articles.  So today I ran across
another system, which appears to be real:  Collage (http://gigaom.com/2010/07/12/software-uses-twitter-flickr-to-let-dissidents-send-secret-messages/
), developed by a group at Georgia Tech and to be presented at
Usenix.  On a crypto level, unlike Haystack, Collage is nothing new:
It uses steganographic techniques to hide text in photos.  What it
contributes is easy to use software for both embedding and extracting
the data, integrated with Flickr.

                                                        -- Jerry