Haystack

Steve Weis steveweis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 14:46:54 EDT 2010

I sent an email asking for technical information several months ago
and did not receive a response. The FAQ says "the Haystack client
connects to our servers which in turn talk to websites on behalf of
our users" and "from a user's point of view, Haystack appears to be a
normal HTTP proxy". There is no binary or source available for
download and the FAQ says "revealing the source code at this time
would only aide the authorities in blocking Haystack".

Based on those statements, I'm going to speculate that the client
connects to a static list of innocuous-looking proxies and that they
are relying on keeping those proxies secret. If those servers were
known to an authority, it would be trivial to block. I think that is
why they're making the unrealistic assumption that an authority will
not be able to reverse engineer or even monitor traffic from a client.