Has there been a change in US banking regulations recently?

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Fri Aug 13 15:55:11 EDT 2010

On 08/13/2010 03:16 PM, Chris Palmer wrote:
> When was this *ever* true? Seriously.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010m.html#50

... original design/implementation. The very first commerce server implementation
by the small client/server startup (that had also invented "SSL") ... was mall
paradigm, development underwritten by large telco (they were looking at being major
outsourcer of electronic commerce servers) ... then the individual store implementation
was developed.

we had previously worked with two people responsible for commerce server
(at small client/server startup) on ha/cmp ... they are mentioned in this
old posting about jan92 meeting in ellison's conference room
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

they then left to join the small client/server startup ... and we also leave
what we had been doing. we then get brought in as consultants because they
want to do payment transactions on their server ... wanting to use this
technology called "SSL" that had been invented at the startup. We have to
go thru the steps of mapping the technology to payment business
processes ... including backend use involving the interaction between commerce
servers and the payment gateway; the payment gateway sitting on
the internet and interface to acquiring network backends ... misc. past
posts mentioning payment gateway
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#gateway

we also have to do walkthru/audits of several of these new businesses calling
themselves Certification Authorities that were selling SSL domain
name digital certificates ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#sslcerts

approx. in the same era, but not exactly the same time (when webservers
were seeing the ssl cryptographic load & dropping back to only using it for
payment) ... some of the larger websites were starting to first see a "plain"
tcp/ip scaleup issue ... having  to do with tcp being originally designed
as session protocol ... and was effectively being misused by HTTP. As a
result most vendor implementations hadn't optimized session termination
... which was viewed as infrequent event (up until HTTP). There was six
month period or so ... that the large websites saw their processors
spending 90-95% of the cpu running the FINWAIT list (as part of session
termination).

The small client/server startup was also seeing (other) scaleup problems
in their server platforms used for downloading products (especially
browser product download activity) ... and in constant cycle of
adding servers. This was before  rotating front-ends ... so users were
asked to manually specify URL of specific server.

Their problem somewhat cleared up when they installed a large sequent
box ... both because of the raw power of the sequent server ... and
also because sequent claimed to have addressed the session terminal efficiency
sometime previously (related to commercial unix accounts with
20,000 concurrent telnet sessions).

For other topic drift ... I believe the first rotating, load-balancing
front-ends was with custom modified software for routers at google.