GSM eavesdropping

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Aug 3 12:01:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:49:00 +0200 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> Encryption is cheap enough (especially if you cache keys from
> previous sessions). Why not encrypt everything?

I'm not sure it is actually cheap enough in all cases. Imagine the
state explosion problem that DNS root servers would face, for
example, in providing pairwise crytpographic sessions for all
queries, especially in a situation where for the most part one only
wants to get a response that is authenticated but which is not per se
secret.

Also, as a practical matter, we don't really have protocol
infrastructure for encrypting absolutely everything at this point.
There is, for example, no protocol by which anonymous DNS queries
could be easily encrypted.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com