/dev/random and virtual systems

Thomas tom at electric-sheep.org
Tue Aug 3 02:43:50 EDT 2010

Hi,
we are using haveged in our VMs to feed the random pool and
it seems to work good (means: statistical verification of
the output looks good, nearly 0 entropy overestimation, but
we never correlated output from cloned VMs).

I assume feeding the VMs from the host system can be problematic
because the host system itself often doesn't have enough entropy.
Much entropy is needed today for protocolls, session IDs and the
elf_loader(!).

Cheerio
Thomas