A mighty fortress is our PKI

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Sun Aug 1 12:49:55 EDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 08:55 AM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> disclaimer: the inventor of domain name infrastructure did a stint at the science center a decade earlier
>  ... working on various and sundry projects.

other public key & science center trivia; former RSA CEO also at science center ... following
recent entry from his blog:
http://smartphonestechnologyandbusinessapps.blogspot.com/2010/05/bob-creasy-invented-virtual-machines-on.html

lots of past posts mentioning science center, 4th flr, 545 tech sq
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

a couple old emails from 1981 ... discussing a certificate-less, PGP-like implementation for the internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#email810506
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email810515

... aka the internal network was larger than the arpanet/internet from just about the beginning until sometime late '85 or early '86. one big difference from arpanet/internet was corporation required all links to be encrypted ... and in the mid-80s there
was the claim that the internal network had over half of all hardware link encryptors in the world ... only practical solution at the time. I was running multiple T1 links in the period ... and DES-encryption processing for sustained full-duplex traffic from a single T1 link was more than enough to consume multiple mainframe processors. old email on the subject (regarding doing some benchmarking of DES software encrypt/decrypt)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006n.html#email841115

past posts mentioning internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet