End-of-chapter questions for "Practical Cryptography"?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri May 22 10:55:17 EDT 2009

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> writes:
> Greetings again. I'm helping someone new to the field learn
> cryptography. He's a book-learner, and is starting with Ferguson &
> Schneier "Practical Cryptography". I would love to give him some
> things to think about after each chapter to make sure he's thinking
> about the big picture.
>
> Has anyone on this list used the book to teach a class? If so, did you
> create a list of discussion questions? Or, do people know profs who
> have used the book to teach? Any pointers are appreciated.

Not quite an answer to your question, but it brought this to mind for me.

I taught crypto for a while in an academic setting, though the last time
was about seven or eight years ago. I found that the available texts
were kind of frustrating to use. I used "Applied Cryptography" and the
"Handbook" because neither alone was good enough, but truth be told,
even together there were topics I wanted to go over (like modern
cryptanalysis) which were entirely or almost entirely
missing. "Practical Cryptography" is a bit too practical if one is
trying to teach people academic fundamentals rather than just teach
people about what they need to know to be a "user" of the technology. I
may be mistaken but I'm not aware of any significantly superior
alternatives.

The field really needs a new, thorough textbook suitable for a one year
course, or maybe an up to date one semester intro text and an up to date
one semester textbook on modern cryptanalysis.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com