fyi: Accelerating computation with FPGAs

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Thu May 7 18:29:41 EDT 2009

of possible (topical) interest...

              Stanford EE Computer Systems Colloquium
                  4:15PM, Wednesday, May 13, 2009
         HP Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B01
                    http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]

Topic:    Accelerating computation with FPGAs
           with a seismic computation example

Speaker:  Michael Flynn
           Maxeler Technologies (and Stanford)

About the talk:

For many high performance applications the alternative to the
multicore rack is to use an accelerator assist to each multicore
node. There are a number of instances of these accelerators:
GPGPU, Specialized processors (E.G.IBM's Cell) and FPGAs.

At Maxeler we've found that the FPGA array technology wins out on
performance for most relevant applications. Given the initial
area-time-power disadvantage of the FPGA in (say) a custom
designed adder this is a surprising result. The sheer magnitude
of the available FPGA parallelism overcomes the initial
disadvantage.

Using Maxeler's FPGA compiler toolkit, it is now feasible to
transform a software application into a data flow graph mapped to
an "unconstrained" systolic array. The array structure can be
matched to the applications structure and is not constrained to
nearest neighbor communications as the FPGA provides a
generalized interconnect.

As an example we consider modeling problems in seismic data
processing.  In a typical problem we realize a 2000 node systolic
array on 2 FPGA's, each node performing an operation each 4 ns.

About the speaker:

Michael Flynn is now Professor Emeritus of EE at Stanford. He
directed the Architecture and Arithmetic group in CSL for many
years.
He is now Senior Adviser and Board Chairman at Maxeler.

Contact information:

Michael J Flynn
flynn at maxeler.com[2]

Embedded Links:
[ 1 ]    http://ee380.stanford.edu
[ 2 ]    mailto:flynn at maxeler.com

ABOUT THE COLLOQUIUM:

See the Colloquium website, http://ee380.stanford.edu, for scheduled
speakers, FAQ, and additional information.  Stanford and SCPD students
can enroll in EE380 for one unit of credit.  Anyone is welcome to attend;
talks are webcast live and archived for on-demand viewing over the web.

MAILING LIST INFORMATION:

This announcement is sent to multiple mailing lists. If you are signed
up on our private EE380 list you can remove yourself using the widget
at the upper left hand corner of the Colloquium web page. Other lists
have other management protocols.