What EV certs are good for

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sun Jan 25 07:04:59 EST 2009

I just received a phishing email, allegedly from HSBC:

     Dear HSBC Member,

     Due to the high number of fraud attempts and phishing scams, it
has been decided to
     implement EV SSL Certification on this Internet Banking website.

     The use of EV SSL certification works with high security Web
browsers to clearly
     identify whether the site belongs to the company or is another
site imitating that
     company's site....

(I hope I haven't quoted enough to trigger someone's spam detectors!)
Needless to say, the message goes on to suggest clicking on a link to
update your account.

                                                         -- Jerry