The password-reset paradox

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Mon Feb 23 13:05:29 EST 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 10:26 PM, Charlie Kaufman wrote:

> Assuming that's true, OTP tokens add costs by introducing new
> failure modes (e.g.,
> I lost it, I ran it through the washing machine, etc.)

Or even more surprising hazards.

http://home.fnal.gov/~crawdad/CryptoCard.jpg

The token on the left in that picture was issued in 2003 by postal
mail to a Sloane Digital Sky Survey collaborator at the US Naval
Observatory. All incoming packages were subjected to high doses of
electron and x-ray radiation, as it is also the residence of the Vice
President.

On the right is the normal appearance of the token and its holder.