The password-reset paradox

Charlie Kaufman charliek at microsoft.com
Sat Feb 21 23:26:01 EST 2009

I would assume (hope?) that when you have an OTP token, you get two factor
authentication and don't stop needing a password. You would need a password
either to unlock the OTP device or to enter alongside the OTP value. Otherwise,
someone who finds your token can impersonate you.

Assuming that's true, OTP tokens add costs by introducing new failure modes (e.g.,
I lost it, I ran it through the washing machine, etc.). I suspect a similar study
would find that the cost of the OTP token would be $500-$700/yr. even if the
device itself only cost $5. After all, passwords are free!

	--Charlie