Quiet in the list...

Nicholas Bohm nbohm at ernest.net
Sun Sep 7 05:51:28 EDT 2008

Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> IanG wrote, On 7/9/08 2:06 AM:
>> Then, when a new Thunderbird comes out, you load that up and the other
>> packages cease to work
>
> As far as I recall, the last time Thunderbird had an upgrade it told me
> that one was available, I clicked to upgrade, and the addons, including
> Enigmail, continue to work. When there was an upgrade available to
> Enigmail, same thing. And the upgrade to GNUgpg also installed cleanly
> with no reconfiguration necessary. It has all been as transparent as can
> be.

My experience was the same, although I needed some initial help with
GPG.  Since then, updates have been trouble-free.

My only problem with the security model is that Thunderbird/Enigmail
stores encrypted messages in encrypted form, and there is no option to
store the plaintext.  This use of a communications key for stored data
is potentially a nuisance - a key corruption or other compromise, or
just a wish to delete an old key for forward security, would cause much
trouble.  (I keep my mail in an encrypted container anyway, so don't
need this feature.)

This apart, the system runs with remarkable simplicity.

Nicholas Bohm
--
Salkyns, Great Canfield, Takeley,
Bishop's Stortford CM22 6SX, UK

Phone  01279 870285    (+44 1279 870285)
Mobile  07715 419728    (+44 7715 419728)

PGP public key ID: 0x899DD7FF.  Fingerprint:
5248 1320 B42E 84FC 1E8B  A9E6 0912 AE66 899D D7FF