Quiet in the list...

IanG iang at systemics.com
Sat Sep 6 08:58:22 EDT 2008

Allen wrote:
> So I'll ask a question. I saw the following on another list:

>> Yes, I regard the combination of Thunderbird + Enigmail + GPG as the
>> best existing solution for secure email.
>
> What does anyone think of of the combo?

There are approximately these combos to achieve private
email for the masses.

1.  GPG command line.  Will never achieve adoption.

2.  GPG + Engimail + Thunderbird.  Will never be totally
robust because there is too much dependency.  Same as any
similar combo.  So no widespread adoption.

3.  S/MIME.  Is so badly architectured that it can only be
got going by neutering a lot of the assumptions, and that
will take years of work.  Assuming everyone agrees, which
they don't.  No widespread adoption possible.

4.  Skype.  Doesn't do email, but aside from that minor
character flaw, it cracked everything else.  It's the best
example of what it should look like.

5.  Browser solutions are cumbersome, but:  Hushmail versus
gmail.  If google were to adopt hushmail, then this might
work.  But, they won't.  They've passed the magic point
where nose-thumbing at the state is part of the b-plan, and
anyway, they *like* your data.  They are nothing without
your data.

6.  Start from scratch.  Will take a long time, and only the
larger projects have the resources to do this.  But, the
larger projects are typically those that copy others
architectures without thought.  See above.

All, strictly IMHO.  YMMV.  Private email for the masses
isn't really in the foreseeable future.  The future is
really moving towards newer architetures, email is old and
tired.  Think mobile, chat and p2p directions.  But those
guys are quite incremental in their improvements, so it will
take a while.

(Yes, I know that's not the question you asked :)

iang