512-bit discrete logarithms, in practice

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Sep 1 16:18:15 EDT 2008

How difficult is it to compute discrete logarithms modulo a 512-bit
prime p of the form 2*q+1, q prime? I have had no luck finding recent
DL results, as it seems factoring is the preferred
benchmark/target. The DL algorithms seem to be have roughly the same
runtimes as factoring, but this is only getting me to order of
magnitude estimates.

These estimates suggest 512 bits is feasible, based on recent
factoring results, but I'm not sure if that means it is feasible with
a handful of modern processors, or if I need to go acquire a
supercomputer and/or a few hundred thousand zombie PCs before trying
this. I am really trying to solve a series of DH key exchanges,
however I am not aware of any algorithms specifically for DH (though
references would be welcomed).

Can anyone point me to recent DL results, or have any experiences
trying to break ~512 bit DH exchanges?

Thanks,
  Jack