combining entropy

Jonathan Katz jkatz at cs.umd.edu
Fri Oct 24 08:51:41 EDT 2008

[Moderator's note: top posting is not tasteful. --Perry]

I think it depends on what you mean by "N pools of entropy".

Are you assuming that one of these is sources is (pseudo)random, but you
don't know which one? Are you assuming independence of these difference
sources? If both these assumptions hold, then XOR will do the trick.

If your only assumption is that one of the sources has high min-entropy
(but may not necessarily be uniform), or if the independence assumption
does not hold, then you may need to use some form of randomness
extraction.