how to read information from RFID equipped credit cards

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Mar 27 16:24:40 EDT 2008

Ben Laurie wrote:
 > Then we get to the next problem: we don't trust the
 > device with the keypad and display. So, we need to add
 > that to the GTCYM (Gadget That Controls Your Money).
 >
 > And so we end up at the position that we have ended up
 > at so many times before: the GTCYM has to have a
 > decent processor, a keyboard and a screen, and must be
 > portable and secure.

Sounds remarkably like a cell phone with an NFC

 > One day we'll stop concluding this and actually do
 > something about it.

Some of the poorest third world countries and some ex
communist countries are adopting mobile phone banking,
for example <https://www.mpay.pl/en/>, perhaps because
they are not weighed down with twentieth century
infrastructure, but until cell phones come routinely
equipped with NFC, you cannot use a cell phone to pay
for groceries.