Fwd: Protection mail at rest

Adam Aviv aviv at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:51:22 EDT 2008

[Moderator's note: Please don't top post. --Perry]

Depending on the level of protection you want, you could just add a
script to your .forward to encrypt your email before delivery using
PGP/GPG. However, this will leave the headers in the clear, so you
will likely want to create an entirely new envelope for the message
with the original message encrypted as the body or an attachment. But
then you will need a thunderbird extension to unwrap the encrypted
original email out of the body, and store the message locally
unencrypted so that you can search.

The problem comes when you start accessing your email from multiple
locations. At one place you have built up a large cache of unencrypted
messages and you can use them in the normal way, but when you access
from another machine or a blackberry, the lack of cache will greatly
hinder your performance. This is the reason we wanted to not only have
the client cache capability to searching, but also a server side
mechanism to compensate when accessing from multiple locations.

adam

--
Adam Aviv
Ph. D. Candidate