Fwd: Protection mail at rest

Adam Aviv aviv at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 2 18:34:41 EDT 2008

I recently implemented SSARES directly in python and also added
parallelism to the searching. We can now search the a large inbox
(1000+) messages in about 2-4 minutes. Technically, this could be done
on a large scale and be practical, since my implementation is not
fully optimized nor free of bugs.

The implementation is available on my web site,
http://fling.seas.upenn.edu/~aviv/wiki/index.php?n=SSARESApp.SSARESApp
as well as some current benchmarks.

I am not a cryptographer (so implementation may not be perfect), nor
do I guarantee that the code doesn't have bugs. This is grad-ware and
for research purposes only. Yet, as a proof of concept, feel free to
play around with it and let me know what you think. I can supply more
python scripts for searching and what not if anyone wants.

thanks,

adam

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Angelos D. Keromytis
<angelos at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> A more recent version, which appeared at ACSAC in December 2007 can be found
> at:
>
> http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~angelos/Papers/2007/SSARES_ACSAC.pdf
>
> Since then, the student primarily working on this(*) has improved
> performance to the point of being able to search a couple of email messages
> per minute or so, with further scope for improvement. The very large storage
> overhead remains, but can probably be reduced by half or so.
>
> (*) Adam Aviv; he was an undergrad at Columbia, now pursuing his Phd with
> Matt Blaze at UPenn...
>
> -Angelos
>

> On Jun 1, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>
>> "Leichter, Jerry" <leichter_jerrold at emc.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of existing work in this area?
>>
>> "SSARES: Secure Searchable Automated Remote Email Storage"
>> by Keromytis et al,
>> http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~angelos/Papers/2006/SSARES_short.pdf
>>
>> There is probably other work out there. In some small part, this also
>> looks like the problem that Matt Blaze's CFS addressed, though in that
>> case it was to deal with untrusted remote file servers rather than
>> email servers.
>>

>> Perry

Adam Aviv
Ph. D. Candidate