The wisdom of the ill informed

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jul 1 11:39:33 EDT 2008

Ed Gerck <edgerck at nma.com> writes:
>> In any case, there are a large number of reasons US banks don't
>> (generally) require or even allow anyone to enter PINs for
>> authentication over the internet.
>
> Wells Fargo allows PINs for user authentication.

No they don't. The new users of their online system get a temporary
password by phone or in the mail, and Wells Fargo requires that they
change it on first log in. The temporaries expire after 30 days,
too. They don't their bank account numbers as account names,
either.

Where did you get the idea that they'd use 4-digit PINS from? It is
totally false.

(Anyone who doesn't believe me can just go through their web site --
it explains all of this to their customers.)

The system you propose as "safe" isn't used by anyone that I'm aware
of, and for good reason, too -- people who've done things like that
have been successfully attacked.

BTW, if anyone was this foolish, the fun you could have would be
amazing. You could rent a botnet for a few bucks and lock out half the
customer accounts on the site in a matter of hours. You could ruin
banks at will. It would be great fun -- only it isn't possible. No one
is stupid enough to set themselves up for that.

>> I suspect that currently invalid accounts are probably even cheaper
>> than valid ones
>
> we all know that invalid accounts are of no use to attack, so this
> issue is not relevant here.

You would use the invalid accounts to reverse engineer the account
number format so you don't have to do exhaustive search. Any
practitioner in this field can tell you how useful intelligence like
that would be. I suggest you consult one.

> Dan's question has to do with how to protect online access from
> multiple tries on the account number for a given PIN. Of course, the
> reverse (repeated use of the same account for different wrong PINs)
> can easily trigger a block.
>
> As I replied to Dan, a counter-measure is for the server to
> selectively block IP numbers for the /same/ browser and /same/ PIN
> after 4 or 3 wrong attempts.

But in an age where an attacker has millions of IP addresses at their
disposal thanks to botnets and IP block hijacking and can fake
anything they like, this is meaningless.

> You present a valid objection in that there are people hijacking huge
> IP blocks for brief periods for spamming. People also hijack vast
> numbers of zombie machines. Either technology is easily used to
> prevent block-by-IP from doing squat for you, you wrote.
>
> Not so fast.  Block-by-IP is not that useless. Many anti-spam
> blacklists use block-by-IP and it works.

It is easy enough to blacklist all of the cable modems in the world
for SMTP service. ISPs voluntarily list their cable modem and DSL
blocks. It is a lot harder to explain to people that they can't do
their at-home banking from home, though. With half the windows boxes
in the world as part of botnets, and with dynamic address assignment,
it is hard to know who's computer *wouldn't* be on the blacklists
anyway...

> Further, if the PIN is held constant (eg, a common PIN such as 1111)
> and the IP as well as the browser identification are changed while
> different account numbers are targeted, this pattern can trigger a
> block by that PIN that repeatedly (3 or more times) causes an access
> error, for any IP number and browser. Excessive errors/minute can
> also trigger inspection and blocks.

You have 10,000 PINs, and 10 million customers logging in a day. Every
PIN that gets attacked means a thousand of those customers can't get
to their account. They call up, which costs you $10 to $100 a pop in
customer service. So for every PIN someone tries hacking, you take a
$10,000 to $100,000 customer service cost. Since there are thousands
of PINs that will be attacked a day, this adds up fast, and you find
more or less none of your customers able to log in and almost all of
them angry as all hell at you.

Ed, there is a reason no one in the US, not even Wells Fargo which you
falsely cited, does what you suggest. None of them use 4 digit PINs,
none of them use customer account numbers as account names. (It is
possible SOMEONE out there does this, but I'm not aware of it.)  You
would impose enormous costs on yourself for almost no advantage. It is
trivial to make people use passwords that are harder to guess than a 4
digit number, so why cost yourself your whole retail operation for no
perceivable benefit?

Banks aren't stupid. They want to minimize their costs, not increase
them. Most banks aren't even happy using PASSWORDS any more -- they're
using "pick the face" systems, issuing Secure IDs, and I understand
some European banks even do stuff like mailing people cards with one
time passwords. The ones still using passwords are seriously looking
at the alternatives, though many of them consider the current losses
sufficiently low that they're not rushing.

I'll give you a chance for one more reply, but you might want to quit
while you're behind. I suspect you won't though.

Perry