The wisdom of the ill informed

Leichter, Jerry leichter_jerrold at emc.com
Tue Jul 1 10:57:14 EDT 2008

| Hi gang,
|
| All quiet on the cryptography front lately, I see. However, that does not
| prevent practices that *appear* like protection but are not even as strong as
| wet toilet paper.
|
| I had to order a medical device today and they need a signed authorization for
| payment by my insurance carrier. No biggie. So they ask how I want it set to
| me and I said via e-mail. Okay. /Then/ they said it was an encrypted file and
| I thought, cool. How wrong could I be?
|
| Very. The (I hate to use this term for something so pathetic) password for the
| file is 6 (yes, six) numeric characters!
|
| My 6 year old K6-II can crack this in less than one minute as there are only
| 1.11*10^6 possible.
|
| You can lead a horse to water....
Let's think about the economics here.  What's the value of the information
they are sending you to someone else?  What could they do with it?  Apply for
your insurance payment?  You'll discover that rather rapidly when you try to
apply.  Discover what medical equipment you're ordering?  Is cracking the
cryptography here anything like the easiest way to to get that information?
It's a myth that medical information is private - too many different parties
have access to it in the normal course of things.

On the flip side, how many people will have trouble remembering even a
six-digit password?  (Keep in mind that, by the nature of the business you're
talking about - medical supplies - many of the customers will be ill/old.)

Frankly, I find it rather impressive that they provide *any* degree of
security.  Six digits may in fact be more than is justified, given the
value-of-information/usability tradeoffs.

							-- Jerry