Fixing SSL (was Re: Dutch Transport Card Broken)

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 31 19:08:02 EST 2008

Dave Howe <DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk> writes:

>SSL - Cludge thrown together by a browser manufacturer,

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "SSL is the worst secure-pipe protocol,
except for all the others".  Like most people here, I can find assorted nits
to pick with it (mostly message-formatting stuff and the like, which is
actually relatively trivial), but every time I look at its competitors I
realise that they're all much, much worse.  Conversely, it's amazing how many
other protocols are just SSL reinvented badly (or in several cases, really
really badly).

Peter.