Dutch Transport Card Broken

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Wed Jan 30 14:47:46 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:08:37PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 30 January 2008 17:01, Jim Cheesman wrote:
>
> > James A. Donald:

Jumping in late, but the idea that *TCP* (and not TLS protocol design)
adds round-trips to SSL warrants some evidence (it is very temping to
express this skepticism more bluntly).

With unextended SMTP for example, the minimum RTT count is:

	0. SYN	SYN-ACK
	1. ACK	220
	2. HELO 250
	3. MAIL 250
	4. RCPT 250
	... n recipients
	   RCPT 250
	4+n DATA 354
	5+n ... stream of message content segments <CRLF.CRLF>
		 250

so it takes at least 6 RTTs to perform a delivery (of a short
single-recipient message), but only 1 of the 6 RTTs is TCP
"overhead". This is improved with PIPELINING:

	0. SYN				SYN-ACK
	1. ACK				220
	2. EHLO				250 ... PIPELINING ...
	3. MAIL RCPT(n times) DATA	250 250 (n times) 354
	4. ... stream of message content segments <CRLF.CRLF>
		 			250

Here the application protocol is pipelined, and 5+n RTTs becomes 4 RTTs.
The solution is not replacing TCP, but reducing the number of lock-step
interactions in the application protocol.

If someone has a faster than 3-way handshake connection establishment
protocol that SSL could leverage instead of TCP, please explain the
design.

The TCP handshake adds a 1-RTT delay at the start of the connection.
What 0-RTT algorithm will allow the server to delay creating expensive
connections to clients until the client acks the server response or
discover the MSS before sending the first segment? With TCP, at least
SYN floods require unspoofed client IPs.

Most of the application protocols we wrap in TLS are not DNS. Sure if
you can guarantee a single packet response to a single packet request,
TCP is not the answer. Otherwise, claiming that SSL is less efficient
over TCP smacks of arrogance.

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify