Lack of fraud reporting paths considered harmful.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Sat Jan 26 23:11:25 EST 2008

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> This evening, a friend of mine who shall remain nameless who works for
> a large company that regularly processes customer credit card payments
> informed me of an interesting fact.
>
> His firm routinely discovers attempted credit card fraud. However,
> since there is no way for them to report attempted fraud to the credit
> card network (the protocol literally does not allow for it), all they
> can do is refuse the transaction -- they literally have no mechanism
> to let the issuing bank know that the card number was likely stolen.
>
> This seems profoundly bad. I hope that someone on the list has the
> right contacts to get the right people to do something about this.

some chance they are doing this to save money on transactions that aren't
likely to be approved ... i.e. rather than be charged for a transaction that
they send thru to the issuer that they are sure to be rejected ... they
reject it upfront.

now the associations have standard procedure to perform "stand-in" when
the network accepts a transaction from an acquirer but isn't able to forward
it to the issuer. stand-in allows the network to decide whether to approve
or reject the transaction using simplified rules. later, when contact is
re-established with the issuer ... the issuer has to be informed of all
the stand-in activity.

a possible simplified mechanism is to be able to generate a simulated
stand-in
report of rejected transactions. the issue then in such a simulated stand-in
role ... for all the reasons that they chose to reject a transaction ...
do they map
into the standard iso 8583 codes for reasons that the issuer would reject
the transaction.