SSL/TLS and port 587

Ed Gerck edgerck at nma.com
Wed Jan 23 09:27:39 EST 2008

Bodo Moeller wrote:
> You don't take into account the many users these days who use wireless
> Internet access from their laptop computers, typically essentially
> broadcasting all network data to whoever is sufficiently close and
> sufficiently nosy.

Yes. Caveats apply but SSL/TLS is useful and simple for this purpose.

> Of course using SSL/TLS for e-mail security does
> not *solve* the problem of e-mail eavesdropping (unless special care
> is taken within a closed group of users), but it certainly plays an
> important role in countering eavesdropping in some relevant scenarios.

The problem is when it is generalized from the particular case where
it helps (above) to general use, and as a solution to prevent wireless
wiretapping. For example, as in this comment from a data center/network
provider:

Now, personally, with all the publicly available info regarding
warrantless wiretapping and so on, why any private communications should
be "in the clear" I just don't know. Even my MTA offers up SSL or TLS to
other MTA's when advertising its capabilities. The RFC is there, use it
as they say.