Dutch Transport Card Broken

Aram Perez aramperez at mac.com
Thu Jan 24 23:58:38 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

> Ed Felten has an interesting post on his blog about a Dutch smartcard
> based transportation payment system that has been broken. Among other
> foolishness, the designers used a custom cryptosystem and 48 bit keys.

Not to defend the designers in any way or fashion, but I'd like to
ask, How much security can you put into a plastic card, the size of a
credit card, that has to perform its function in a secure manner, all
in under 2 seconds (in under 1 second in parts of Asia)? And it has to
do this while receiving its power via the electromagnetic field being
generated by the reader.

Regards,
Aram Perez