SSL/TLS and port 587

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Wed Jan 23 03:29:07 EST 2008

* Ed Gerck:

> The often expressed idea that SSL/TLS and port 587 are somehow able
> to prevent warrantless wiretapping and so on, or protect any private
> communications, is IMO simply not supported by facts.

Huh?  Have you got a source for that?  This is he first time I've
heard of such claims.

Message submission over 587/TCP gives the receiver more leeway
regarding adjusting message contents to police (add a message ID,
check the Date and From headers, and so on).  The abuse management
contract is also different: once you accept a message over 587/TCP,
it's your fault (and your fault alone) if this message turns out to be
spam.  There's nothing related to confidentiality that I know of.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99