Death of antivirus software imminent

Jason jason at lunkwill.org
Wed Jan 2 16:26:47 EST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> however, another interpretation is that the defenders
> have chosen extremely poor position to defend ... and are
> therefor at enormous disadvantage. it may be necessary
> to change the paradigm (and/or find the high ground)
> in order to successfully defend.

Yes, I wish that were pointed out more often.  Detecting viruses is a
fundamentally losing battle: a sufficiently advanced virus can fully simulate
a clean computer for the scanner to run in.

On the other hand, writing an OS that doesn't get infected in the first place
is a fundamentally winning battle: OSes are insecure because people make
mistakes, not because they're fundamentally insecurable.

Detecting spam by analysis of the text is another losing battle: even humans
can't always agree on what's spam.

The maddening part is that security as an industry is almost always forced to
fight on the losing battlefields, even though we've had beautiful, efficient,
impregnable fortresses available for many years.  Any crypto book from 20
years ago can show you how to send an unforgeable email or sign a binary, yet
these notions still haven't widely caught on (and when they have, as in the
Xbox, they get hijacked for things like DRM and privacy invasion).