cold boot attacks on disk encryption

Ali, Saqib docbook.xml at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:49:32 EST 2008

interesting paper. but i fail to see how this could be "deadly" (as
the author puts it) to the disk encryption products.

This methods requires the computer to be "recently" turned-on and unlocked.

So the only way it would work is that the victim unlocks the disks
i.e. enter their preboot password and turn off the computer and
"immediately" handover (conveniently) the computer to the attacker so
that the attacker remove the DRAM chip and store in nitrogen. And the
attacker has to do all this in less then 2 seconds.... :) If the
attacker is standing right next to the victim, why even let the victim
turn-off the unlocked computer????

Or am I missing something?

--
Saqib Ali,