cold boot attacks on disk encryption

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Feb 21 12:10:33 EST 2008

Ed Felten blogs on his latest research:

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1257

Excerpt:

    Today eight colleagues and I are releasing a significant new
    research result. We show that disk encryption, the standard
    approach to protecting sensitive data on laptops, can be defeated
    by relatively simple methods. We demonstrate our methods by using
    them to defeat three popular disk encryption products: BitLocker,
    which comes with Windows Vista; FileVault, which comes with MacOS
    X; and dm-crypt, which is used with Linux.

More info: http://citp.princeton.edu/memory

Paper: http://citp.princeton.edu.nyud.net/pub/coldboot.pdf

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com