CPRNGs are still an issue.

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Dec 16 12:10:03 EST 2008

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:

> This does necessitate an extra manufacturing step in which the device
> gets "individualized", but you're setting the default password to a
> per-device string and having that taped to the top of the box anyway,
> right? If you're not, most of the boxes will be vulnerable anyway and
> there's no point...

Not quite, you can optimize that.  Some software (e.g., OpenWRT) forces
users to access the device via (local) ethernet before wireless is
enabled.  This enables security aware people to configure wireless
security, and avoid a period of insecure wireless network.

Incidentally, this approach also enables devices to collect entropy from
the user session.  That could be useful when generating SSH private
keys.  (Although I believe, unfortunately, OpenWRT generates the SSH key
directly after the first boot.  It seems unclear what kind of entropy it
can hope to have at that point?)

I agree with your recommendation to write an AES key to devices at
manufacturing time.  However it always comes with costs, including:

1) The cost of improving the manufacture process sufficiently well to
make it unlikely that compromised AES keys are set in the factory.

2) The cost of individualizing each device.

Each of these costs can be high enough that alternative approaches can
be cost-effective. (*) My impression is that the cost and risks in 1)
are often under-estimated, to the point where they can become a
relatively cheap attack vector.

/Simon

(*) In case anyone doubts how the YubiKey works, which I'm affiliated
with, we took the costs in 1) and 2).  But they are large costs.  We
considered to require users to go through an initial configuration step
to set the AES key themselves.  However, the usability cost in that is
probably higher than 1) and 2).